Saturday 1 November 2014

Storyboard - Director Laurent Tirard | 31 / 10

Making a storyboard can be a very time-consuming task, but it is extremely helpful and can save a lot of time during the shooting process. Mr. Laurent Tirard, a French director, came to our school this week and showed us a few of the films that he directed, including Le Petit Nicolas. During class, he presented the storyboards and video of one of the scenes from Le Petit Nicolas, sharing his filming and storyboarding experience.

Mr. Tirard mentioned that storyboards are just a guideline. The film clip that he showed us was similar to the storyboard, but not 100% same as it. In the scene from Le Petit Nicolas, I noticed that numerous changes were made and some additional shots were added into the film. Shot sizes were altered - some shots were wider than they were planned to be in the storyboard. Some shots that were not shown in the storyboard appeared in the film. In addition, Mr. Tirard used different unique shot sizes in his film. A few of them were hip shots - showing the character's hip and some were shot from behind the character, only showing the characters' back. I find these shot sizes to be rarely seen in other films and if there are any chances, I may consider using them in my production. 


After Mr. Tirard's lesson about storyboarding, I changed my perspective on the time-consuming task of making storyboards. I never really understood why we had to make storyboards, but they are actually very important as they help us organize our shots and it is the best method to share what I want the film to be like with my teammates using storyboards. It definitely improved the efficiency and quality of our film, and made our production process a lot easier as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment